Connecting to Vera for the first time
The first step in starting to use HomeWave is to connect it to your Vera unit, in three easy steps:
- Turn on your iPhone and make sure you are connected by WiFi to your home LAN (the same LAN as your Vera is on);
- Start HomeWave;
- After a few seconds, HomeWave will report that it has found one or more Vera controllers. Select the ones you wish to use from HomeWave, and tap OK.
That is all that is needed to get started! If all went well, HomeWave will display a white “WiFi” icon to indicate it is connected to Vera.
If HomeWave does not find your Vera after 15 seconds or so, close the app and try again. If it still fails to find Vera after a few tries, enter your Vera’s IP address manually:
Creating your first control panel
HomeWave has two kinds of screens: one or more Control Panels with buttons to control your devices, and a single “Home Screen” used to navigate between those Control Panels.
On the iPad, the Home Screen is displayed as a window that slides in and out; touch the grey tab on the left to make it appear.
We’ll start by adding a new Control Panel to the Home Screen:
- Go into Edit mode by clicking the spanner.
- (iPad only) touch the grey tab to bring up the Home Screen.
- Select the empty (crossed-out) square next to the button marked [control screen] by tapping it. The selected square will now have an orange border around it.
Note that the leftmost button on the title bar changed from a spanner to a + sign.
- Tap the button. A button is added and you’ll be presented with its properties.
- Change the default title ([control screen]) to something else, and tap the Ok button.
- Click the Save button.
We now have a button for our Control Panel. Click the button, and you’ll see that an empty Control Panel has already been created.
Adding controls for devices to your Control Screen
Time to start adding some devices to our new Control screen.
- Open your Control screen by tapping its button on the Home screen.
- Begin editing it by clicking the Setup button (the spanner) . The Control screen will change from a back background to a set of blue squares with crosses in them; these represent empty spaces where you can place control elements.
- Tap the top-left blue square to select it (it turns grey).
Tap the Add button
- A window appears with various Z-wave control elements. Choose the On/Off Switch (if your Z-wave setup has no switches, choose another control element)
- The next window shows a list of all the On/Off switches HomeWave has found on your Vera controller. Choose a switch, preferably one which light you can see from where you are sitting!
- The On/Off switch is placed on the Control Panel, and is now linked to a Z-wave device! Tap the Save button.
Now try turning the light on and off, by tapping the control.
Editing a control’s appearance
You’ll notice that the control’s label is copied from the name given to the device in Vera. The name may be too long to display well in HomeWave, so we’ll go and change the control’s name:
Click the setup button again to go to Edit mode, and select the On/Off switch (turning it grey).
Tap the spanner again. You’ll see a list of the control’s properties; here you can change the “looks” of your control, but for now we will just change the name, which is the first property shown.
Tap the name and change it. Then click the Ok button, and Save
You can continue adding controls to this panel, or go back to the Home Screen (use the button or swipe down) and add buttons for additional Control Panels.
For more information on the different kinds of controls and their various properties and options, see the Advanced Configuration section. For more info on configuring the HomeWave app (for example, for use via MIOS), see the Settings information.